Audio Voice Acoustics  

Go Back   Audio Voice Acoustics > Info's about hornspeaker manufacturers and companies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Info's about hornspeaker manufacturers and companies Models, listening experience, news

Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Default The Klipschorn

http://www.audiofanatic.it/Piani_cos...lipschorn.html
Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Administrator

http://www.pirkensee.de/Downloads/Klipsch%20Horn.pdf
Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Administrator

R. Heyser's excellent Klipschorn review from Audio, 1986:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/sto...n%20Review.pdf
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Administrator

http://voltiaudio.com/midrangedrivers.shtml

Have you ever listened to just the midrange on your speakers? It's an interesting experience that I highly recommend to everyone. It's a great way to learn what exactly is the sound coming from the midrange. It's easy to think that midrange frequencies are actually higher and/or lower than what they really are. It's also surprising how much midrange information is coming from the bass bin of a Klipsch Khorn, and for me, how poorly that midrange sounds. I have determined that up to about 160Hz, the Khorn bass bin sounds very good to me, but beyond that, the mid-bass tones that come from the Khorn bass bin are annoying as heck. It will be my goal with future upgrades and with new designs, to lower that point between the midrange horn and the bass bin, to remove low-midrange from the bass bin. I don't believe a large folded horn bass bin, like the Khorn, Jubilee, or Jamboree, is the best place to be producing low-mids. I believe it is better to have those frequencies coming from a horn more specifically designed to produce them. Obviously with the Khorn, adding a mid-bass horn is just not practical. But lowering the crossover point between the midrange and the bass bin is both practical and desirable when using the V-Trac horn and BMS 4592 driver. It's about the sound quality that we hear with our ears! Once that's been established, I could care less what the technical reasons might be for doing otherwise. I trust my ears.

Right now, I have the ability to move the crossover point lower on the V-Trac horn, and improve the mid-bass significantly by doing so. The V-Trac horn is large enough, with an Fc of 260Hz to produce those mid-bass frequencies with the right crossover network. This will effectively take the band of frequencies between 300Hz and 400Hz and move them from a horn that has a difficult time producing them, to one that can more effectively produce them and disperse them into the room. I will be offering a new crossover network for the V-Trac horn in mid-2010 that will incorporate the new filtering. The lower crossover point, along with a steeper slope, will offer both improved mid-bass and a more controlled overlap between the bass and midrange.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Administrator

http://voltiaudio.com/contact.shtml
Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/...ns-are-AMAZING!!!

Horns are AMAZING!!!

I've been holding out on you guys. I agreed to purchase a new (to me) pair of speakers last week and finally went to pick them up today. I didn't want to report until I found out what I had, and I'm glad to say I have quite a bit. I'll tell you the story...

It's kind of funny, because for about a week before Lakedmb posted about purchasing some Klipsch Corwall speakers I had been hearing an unusual amount of talk about horn speakers various places on line. The topic seemed to come up more than usual and mostly referring to vintage Klipsch speakers. I had been doing some forum searches, and reading through old posts. People who own horns seem to think that they are unique, and that the speakers can do things that others can't. It's a following almost like electrostatic/planar speakers, with their sound surely being unlike most other speakers. I became very curious, and after Lakedmb got his Cornwalls at such a crazy price and was so thrilled with them, my search began. I had narrowed it down to the LaScala, because I didn't want to pay much more than $800 if I could and I wanted a horn loaded bass cabinet. As I mentioned in that thread for a year or two I've been saving money to purchase speakers that retail in the $10K range (at cost though), and the money saved keeps getting shifted else where for various reasons. I figured I could try this and see if it could cure my desire for an upgrade.

However, after half a week of having trouble with Craig's list sellers, or not being able to find what I want, I resorted posting a "want to buy" on the Klipsch forum. The guys over there seem to be a very helpful bunch and that turned out to be a very true assessment. After getting a few responses to my post a guy from Vermont said that he had purchased an interesting pair of speakers a few years ago and had sold them to a friend down the road who for space reasons was now looking to sell. He said they weren't LaScalas, but a clone of the K-horn made by a company called Speakerlab in around 1983. The midrange is the same as the K-horn, the woofer is the same, but the tweeter is actually the next model up from the original supplier. The thing that really interested me was that the original buyer had sealed the back so corner placement wasn't 100% necessary. Kipsch is actually doing this now on their 60th anniversary K-horn speaker. I had never heard anything but praise about the K-horn, but I was a little concerned about it not being the real deal. However, the guy who gave me the heads up personally has 2 pair of K-horns running in his system, and said that while he had the Speakerlab version he was more than impressed with their sound. He only bought them originally because they were such a good deal, and only sold them because he had no real use for them. So with that advice and the fact that they were being sold to me for $600, instead of the $1500-$2500 a used pair of similar condition K-horns usually sells for, I said I'd be up to grab them as soon as I could get a vehicle.

So today was the day, and with 7 hours of driving my buddy and I returned with these two massive corner horns. We set them up, and started to play around with another difference between these and the actual K-horns. They have a dial on the front that adjusts the output level of the midhorn and highhorn independently. While not tremendously technical we listened to music we were both familiar with and had a live reference for, and dialed them in. The results when placed and dialed in were far more than I had hoped for. I expected to get these home and think "wow these are really good, they will probably sound amazing once I get tube amps for them". Then once I got the tubes to think "wow these could be some of the best speakers I've ever heard if I go with active x-overs".

Instead I'm already thinking these are some of the finest speakers I've ever heard! The sound that these produce is stunning in so many ways. Most of you know, but I work in the a/v industry and have heard a good percentage of what is on the market today. I've heard 5 different pairs of speakers that retail for more than $25K, so my experience with different speakers is varied. The experience of a full range horn speaker is completely different from anything else I've heard; the people who own these are not lying. Imagine the transparency and image placement of the best electrostats with dynamics that you've probably never experienced before. It is amazing! Electrostats now make me think of clarity, but with no life. When a cymbal is struck on these speakers it resonates into the room, when a piano is played the reverberations extend into the listening space. Everything through these speakers has a lifelike clarity, size, and presentation.

When my buddy was here we listened to Queen, and the volume level was out of control. The impact of the guitar and drum set was incredible. We listened to Alanis Morrisette's acoustic CD a bit, and it sounded just like when I saw her live 2 years ago at one of the finest concert venues in Boston. The incredible tracks where Olympic Fanfare and The Superman Theme off of a John Williams CD I have. I had listened to these tracks on a pair of $180K Wilson Alexandrias three months ago, and all the guys there were amazed at how powerful and dynamic the presentation was. On my new speakers it was at least equal, I was in awe!

Once Colin left, I popped in Dave Mathews Band's Crash CD, one I have heard many hundreds of times. It was so amazing listening to it this run through. On the song Crash there is a marching drum beat that Carter plays, and I have never heard the stick hit the snare with such lifelike detail before. I could hear each strike and that "bouncing sound' the stick makes when one plays that type of beat on a drum. The amazing thing about going through the CD this time really was that after trying to critique the first few tracks (evaluating the speakers) I couldn't help but to just get sucked into the music. I hate to say things that sound too hokey and dramatic, but I've never been immersed in a CD like I was with this one. Before long it was as if I was having this album performed for me by the actual band. If I were blind folded and brought into that room, not knowing where I was, I would never have been able to guess where the speakers were or even where the walls in the room where. The size of the presentation was that life like, and not just in width and depth but height as well. It got to the point where I didn't want to open my eyes because it refocused me on the room dimensions. If I closed my eyes I could actually picture a cymbal where it would have been on the kit, and I could start to guess what size and where the outline would be of a particular acoustic guitar. Again, not to sound dramatic, but I literally heard details in the way the guys played the instruments that I had never heard before. It was a truly surreal listening experience, and very different from anything I've experienced before.

Oh yeah, and the bass is incredible. We always talk about how musical, tight, and powerful SVS subs are....that is NOTHING compared to the tight punchy sound of a folded horn bass cabinet.

Sorry for gushing, but I could not imagine in any way that $600 could have been spent so well. I can't imagine being any happier with any of the $10K speakers I've auditioned over the past few years, and I've only scratched the surface with these! As soon as I sell my old speakers I'll be buying a stereo tube amp (probably a Dynaco ST-70), and the gear to use the True RTA software so I can really dial these in. Then when I get really brave I'll be setting this up in an active configuration, and I can't even imagine what type of sound my system will be capable of producing at that point. It's almost scary.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, as these things are HUGE! I knew they were big, but had no idea really how big. I don't have a digital camera, and my room mate whose camera I usually use is out of town until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll take some and post them then. I really wish I could describe better what these sound like, but that's the best I can do. If anyone here has not had the opportunity to hear a full range horn, do yourself a favor and do it now! Or maybe don't, unless you think you can be prepared to go out and buy a pair
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Administrator

http://www.novacon.com.br/audiokiphor.htm